4.02.2006

Review #20: Boondocks - Amarillo, Texas

Last weekend I made the trek up to Amarillo. I figured the beef capital of the world would probably be a good place to look for a good fat burger. I just love it when I am right. Following the advice of my sister-in-law and brother - I visited Boondocks. Boondocks is what some people would classify as a biker bar. To me - it just looked like a bar. No bikers that I could see although I did visit Boondocks in broad daylight... the nighttime crowd may be a little different. All I know is bikers or no bikers Boondocks lived up to every single last bit of hype from my sister-in-law and brother... Boondocks had one mean mean MEAN burger!!! SO mean infact - it inspired me to create a brand new category to rank the burgers.... The Gravedigger.

IMPORTANT: If you haven't already, please read the Texas Burger Guy terminology post. That will help you understand the terminology I use in this review.

Boondocks "Boonie Burger"
Approaching the Boondocks restaurant - I noticed that this place was unlike any other I had visited. Number 1 - there were no windows that I could see anywhere on the building. Upon entering Boondocks, this place definitely had the look and feel of a certified burger joint though. Nothing fancy - no frilly junk. But enough with the atmosphere talk... I came here for one thing and one thing only... I wanted to meet this Boonie Burger I have been hearing so much about. Lo and behold when the Boonie landed on my table - I knew the multi hour trip to Amarillo from Houston was worth it.. WOW!!! This is how I see the Boonie Burger ranking in the TexasBurgerGuy categories:

Oooze Factor
My brother ordered some cheesesticks that you can take a look at below. I started praying that the burger would be as greasy as the cheesesticks cause my oh my were those things dripping with grease. I was not disappointed when my Boonie Burger was delivered. The white paper covering the burger was already starting to become transparent from the grease. The patty just shined from the oooze. This burger reminded me why I love greasy burgers... it was awesome!!! This baby had enough oooze to clog your arteries then slick your hair back. The fries were grease sticks as well. Just the way I like em!!
Oooze Factor Rating: 9


Click to enlarge


Click to enlarge


Click to enlarge

Herd Killer
As you can probably tell from the pictures - the Boonie Burger is a double meat burger. Granted most of the other burgers I have reviewed have all been single patty burgers. I just went and ordered what was recommended which is what I usually will do when I do my reviews. My brothers both ordered single patty burgers. I took a picture of his single patty bacon cheeseburger. It was awesome!!! Absolutely no question that both the single patty and the Boonie Burger were top notch 100% certified herd killer burgers. Only in Amarillo Texas can you find a burger the size of this thing... it was HUGE!!! It almost made me feel sorry for the herd or 2 that were slaughtered to put this beauty on my plate. Almost.
Herd Killer Rating: 9

Handling
I discovered after eating the Boonie Burger that a good sized hard to handle burger can't be eaten head on.. you have to take a bite - then your other bites have to be angled off of that one because it is so big. I had to do exactly that to get this monster down. It was good though... I loved every minute of it.
Handling Rating: 9

Bling Bling
I'd probably paid 10 bucks for this thing as full as it made me. No kidding - 10 o'clock that night I was just starting to feel a tad bit hungry again. Absolutely amazing how full I was after eathing this thing... No question this thing was worth every penny...
Bling Bling Rating: 9

Gravedigger
This is my first ever review to use the Gravedigger category. This category ranks a burger by gauging the number of days it will take off your life... This category is inspired by the Boonie Burger. I created this because as I drove away from Boondocks - thoughts started creeping into my mind that maybe I should increase my life insurance a little... That thing was mean.... And because it really worried me that I might drop dead after eating it... the Boonie Burger is going to get a very high Gravedigger ranking...
Gravedigger Rating: 9 Shovels



Overall Boondocks "Boonie Burger" Rating: 9.5

Restaurant Review
Boondocks was a one of a kind restaurant. It is actually a Bar and Grill. There are pool tables, video games, a rather loud juke box that I am sure plays country music all the time. Lots of posters and neon signs and so forth... Boondocks definitely had character... no doubt about that. The menu was good... lots of burgers that you couldn't find anywhere else. They marinate their burgers in something. I think mine was marinated in beer or something... it had an extra little flavor to it that made it unique. I can't stroll into another burger joint and find a Boonie Burger. If you can't tell already - I really did like Boondocks! We tried the cheese sticks, fries, bacon cheeseburger, regular cheeseburger, and the Boonie Burger. Man oh man... all of it was awesome!


Click to enlarge

Cheesesticks

Click to enlarge

Restaurant/Atmosphere
Despite the rough outer shell and reputation that some of these biker bar type places have - Boondocks was nothing like that.... during the day. I felt welcomed there and our waitress could not have been any nicer to us. She also provided excellent service as well. I really enjoyed the whole Boondocks experience. It was a one of a kind type establishment I visited in Amarillo that fateful day. I think it might just have dethroned my Number 1 Burger Joint...

Directions
Go to Amarillo and follow the Harleys.

Address
711 W 10th St
Amarillo, Texas
806.373.3727

Map
Boondocks Map

TBG Overall Rating
Excellent food!!!! Excellent service!!!! One of a kind burger joint! If you are EVER in Amarillo - stop by (during the day) and get yourself a Boonie Burger! You won't be disappointed!

Overall TBG Rating for Boondocks: 9.5

23 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Norman said...

Ah yes... I go to the Boondocks regularly for lunch. Awesome Awesome AWESOME burgers!

If you are taking suggestions... you ought to go to Panhandle, TX (25 miles to the east of Amarillo) and go to Buffalo Grass. You'll get yourself a great buffalo meat burger!

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy TBG,
I have to agree with you about the "Boondocks Bugers". They have some hand-crampin' cold beer also.

When you make it back up here to Amarillo again, try "Arnolds" on Washington St. just north of I-40 a few blocks on the east side of the road.
Ain't nothin' fancy, no frills, absolutly no atmosphere, which is the atmosphere.
You can be conservative and order a regular burger that most folks have trouble finishin'. If'n you're feelin' brave you can order burgers the size of pizzas. That's right, you heard me correctly, the size of pizzas.

Arnolds is family owned and has been around Amarillo for years. The women that cook your burger is just behind the counter in plan sight. The patties aren't formed perfectly, in-fact the patties aren't formed, period, and Lord only knows how much meat is in one of the regular burgers.

I just know they're big (huge), meaty, tasty, juicy, greasy, and just down-right GOOD.

Ya best bring a bunch of shovels!!

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... excellent review.... if I'm ever in Amarillo, I'm definitely following the Harleys to Boondocks.....

Eric

 
At 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And for desert -- Coyote Bluff on GRAND off I-40 E. Steaks and Burgers. My favorite is the Hamburger From HELL!. 1/2 lb with sauted onions and Jalapeno peppers. Truly a "Tripple Bypass Special.

For lunch get there by 11:00 AM or stand outside for hours... Ice Cold Beer in a claw foot bathtub.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Willthing said...

Great review. Makes me a little homesick for my beloved Amarillo (now living in Galveston).

I'd have to give a nod to the Coyote Bluff as well and of course the Golden Light Cafe's beautiful diner burger.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, the Boonie Burger is marinated in Red Creek Marinade. For extra kick you can get a side of Red Mud sauce for your fries...or burger.

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Boonie Burger IS fantastic. Everything he said is true.

The SECRET is that the burger is grilled with Red Creek Marinade. I've also had a steak at the Boondocks which was marinated in Red Creek Marinade. Da Bomb!!!!!!!

Plus, I met the guy who invented the marinade down at the boondocks one night. Not only does he make marinades, he also plays the hottest blues fiddle in Texas. Nice guy, too. Handed out several complimentary bottles of his marinades that night to the crowd!

A trip by the Boondocks for a Boonie Burger is DEFINITELY worth it! Go see for yourself.
I

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the sexiest thing I've ever read in my life. It makes me want to cover my man breasts in grease and listen to some Michael Bolton. Oooh baby you've ended my celibacy.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have gone many, many places and eaten a lot of burgers. the cheeseburger at wills point tx. sale barn (van zandt co. ) is one of the best i have ever laid lips on. it cannot be described other than "old school" and greasy!! yum

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it's me, Chrisg again. I finally made it over the Boondocks since you have it as your #1. The burger was great and very tastey and one of the ladies was nice enough to have me try some of their homemade chips. I've eaten bigger burgers but this one is still a pretty good size burger. I'd definitely eat there again if i were in Amarillo. Thanks for the tip...........Cg

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for this summer me and my family have been looking for the best burger in Texas and when i saw the pictures of the double meat burger then read the review that is were we are going.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger jenab said...

I am headed home the end of July and I can hardly wait to get to the Docks for my Boonie Burger. I could smell them when I just looked at the photo I know the Building has changed but it sounds like the taste hasn't. Get my burger ready the last Saturday of july

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, Boondocks is no more. Its closed and the building is up for sale....

*sigh*

Didn't get to try the burger..

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Lorrising said...

I realize you're the 'Texas' burger guy. But...if you're ever in Oklahoma you have to try a place called Meers. The burgers aren't just hand-formed, the cattle they're made from are raised on the premises and I have yet to find a burger to top them. Here's a link with directions if you're interested.

http://www.mozilla.com/products/firefox/central.html

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Go back to Amarillo and go directly to the Golden Light on very very old 66, 6th Ave just west of downtown. THAT'S a burger!

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Golden Light has a decent burger, but their fries taste like they were cooked in motor oil.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are still looking for a great burger in Amarillo, with a unique story, check out the Beef Burger Barrel on Plains Blvd between Georgia and Western. You can't miss it on the north side of the street - the building is literaly a VERY large barrel. The girls that cook at lunch during the week will make your burger any way you want it - extra grease if that's the way you want!! Plus some of the best old fashioned cherry limes around. . .

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Eating The Road said...

Damn that looks awesome! I wish I had known about it when I was in Amarillo. I stopped at the Coyote Bluff Cafe instead:
http://eatingtheroad.wordpress.com/2009/11/16/coyote-bluff-cafe/

Have you been there? How does it compare?

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Website optimization company said...

I cannot believe you would track so far for a burger

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok tbg i tried your number one pick for burgers and i have to tell you that you have horrible taste. The burgers were not only burnt to a crisp but had no flavor. the tomatos were sour and the lettuce was bad. The french fries were nearly cold and the service was horrible.

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous nst2018 said...

Just want to say what a great blog you got here!
I’ve been around for quite a lot of time, but finally decided to show my appreciation of your work!
Thumbs up, and keep it going!
Cheers

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review, but you got to try Frozen Custard Co& Grill in Corpus Christi Texas.The burgers there are out of this world, also the chicken burgers were the best.Imagine burgers and chicken burgers in 30 varieties.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pride myself in being a true burger 'conniseur'..hell, I can't spell it, but I know a good burger when I taste one...My vote for the #1 spot, is the Double/Double from a hole in the wall place in Rendon, Tx. called Myrtle's Burgers...With a name like Myrtle's, its old school thru and thru..."Hot and Juicy, Ohhhh Lucy"
the flava that'll make ya jump up and "Dayyyyyyyyammmm...Thats a good burger"!!!...Ya walk up place your order, sittin' spaces are a couple of old picnic tables with a couple of "rainbow" umbrellas...Oh Myrtle, behaaaaaave..you saucy senior...(wink)...You've got the best burger in the state, in my book...Extremely easy on the wallet, as well...A++++ Get there early...standing room only on most weekends...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home